Stade Rennais Online - Le forum

Le forum des supporters du Stade Rennais

Vous n'êtes pas identifié(e).

#1 05-08-2017 10:37:57

MichaelBBack
Pro

Stade Rennais 17/18 Season Discussion

Here we go again.

After a 9th place finish with 12 wins, 12 losses and 14 draws, Christian Gourcuff has had a full season to assess and get used to his squad. He's made some very interesting moves during the transfer window and the fans are feeling pretty hopeful ahead of the new campaign. It all kicks off tonight away against Troyes, and it'd be lovely to start off with 3 points (and really, we should always be winning our games against promoted teams) but they won't just roll over. The first set of fixtures is always tricky, it all tends to come down to which team had the better preparation and training over the summer. I hope we're ready and I'm excited to see some of the new faces, particularly Bourigeaud and, of course, Sarr. We've got a decent squad and (so far) we've managed to hold onto our major players, apart from Costil, who is certainly a big loss. Overall though, I'm reasonably happy with how things have gone since last season ended.

That said, for the time being, I'm not entirely satisfied with our attack. We've needed a top striker for years now. Getting rid of Sio was a step in the right direction but replacing him with a young lad from the Spanish second tier and a 19 year old who scored 5 as a winger isn't exactly what I would call a perfect plan. Maybe Sarr will adapt very well and transform in an excellent centre forward, and maybe (hopefully) Brandon will prove he was worth the gamble, but all those rumours linking Aboubakar and Gignac to us are a far cry from how things have actually turned out.

Views? Predictions? Personally, I think top 3 is completely impenetrable, and I'd probably stretch that to top 4 or 5, in all honesty. Once again, I think the best we might be able to hope for is a battle for 6th/7th against the usual suspects of Bordeaux, St. E, Lille, Nantes, and if I'm being completely frank I see us hovering around the 10th place again by the end of the season. How about you guys?

Either way, let's stay hopeful. We've got an interesting start to the season, a good mix of 'winnable' and 'not-so-winnable' games coming up. Let's look at the first two months of fixtures:

August:

Troyes - Rennes
Rennes - Lyon
Rennes - Dijon
Toulouse - Rennes

September:

Marseille - Rennes
Rennes - Nice
Saint Etienne - Rennes
Rennes - Caen

I think these early months can really give us a good indicator of how effective the squad really is and what sort of aspirations we can have for the season. If we're able to win against some of the 'lesser' teams like Troyes and Dijon, while also taking some points from the big boys and actually showing up in those home games against Lyon and Nice, we'll be off to a great start.

One thing I hope more than anything is that we make sure our home form is excellent. Let's make Roazhon Park a scary place to visit and get the fans cheering.

Allez Rennes!

Je suis Anglais, alors désolé pour les erreurs.

Pied de page des forums