Le forum des supporters du Stade Rennais

Vous n'êtes pas connecté.

#51 28-07-2011 13:52:22

Jon_LeGossip
Membre
Inscrit(e): 12-07-2011

Re: French Football

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for all of your replies over the past few weeks. I have recently managed to compose a piece combining all the factors that I have found contribute to the poor financial state of some football clubs and the suggestions I received from here feature heavily. I have posted a rough version of the article on the link below and would really appreciate your opinions on it. It is important that I get as many facts right as possible and if you see something and believe that it is incorrect then please tell me. I want to avoid making any false claims here.

I am aware that the article is quite dry without any quotes but the piece is very long without them and I have struggled to find any suitable for this topic. The final version of this will be shorter but I just want to get some of your general thoughts.

Thanks,

Jonathan

http://painandtheglory.blogspot.com/201 … ticle.html

#52 29-07-2011 06:37:12

paquit35
Membre
Inscrit(e): 20-07-2007

"Few clubs own their stadiums, such as Rennes" Stade rennais doesn't own its stadium but rent it to the city council. I believe AJ Auxerre is the only club in Ligue 1 owning its stadium.

#53 29-07-2011 09:36:20

Jon_LeGossip
Membre

Paquit35: Yeah, I was not very clear there. I meant Rennes as an example of a club that does not own their stadium. Thank you for bringing t to my attention, I will make it more clear when I edit it. What do you think of the rest of it?

#54 29-07-2011 11:35:26

Puchkin
Random
Inscrit(e): 06-06-2005

Hi Jon.

To me, this looks like a solid, solid article on the situation of French football and its virtues that make him less competitive...

French football is like the girl cute but nothing special at college, who ends up being the beautiful, successful woman everybody admires 10 years later when all the teenage pin-ups have faded. big_smile

Give it five to ten years and the economical management of French football will be their strenght when Spain and England are hit by the proper collapse of their sides

Back to the point, I think this is a great article Jon. Maybe lauig and his sharper eye on football economics would have something to add, but to me it looks good

#55 30-07-2011 17:04:46

plgspirit
Membre
Inscrit(e): 21-08-2009

To my mind your article is not clear, not synthetic enough about the roots of the French management of football club.
When Mr UEFA President Platini is promoting "financial fair play" you should wonder about this, and what does it mean.
The basic problem is always about the balance between turnover (TV, tickets, merchandising) and charges (education, wages). The only assets are the players, the brand, the rental contract of the stadium for naming (like Le Mans with MMArena).
The turnover in France is too much depending on the sales of the Ligue 1 rights to a market dominated by one major player (Canal Plus - Vivendi), and too many football clubs are only relying on business fans like Sadran, Kita in Nantes, ...
You didn't analyse the Rennes paradox : a business family fan (from Antoine to Salma Hayek-PINAULT) who understood it wouldn't help their favorite club to spend billions in transfer and wages if the club don't expand its turnover so like Arsenal they tried to have more place to sell every matches and so on ...
The thing is in France we do not have creative accouting, it's ruled and so we can not value players or brand before we sold them. We believe in the long term we would have a return on this healthy investments. The other thing about our championship is we are more focused on the result than the show and so we are too defensive but to my mind except the big seven in  England now, I am not sure they are better than our top 15.
It happens bad players in L1 play in Premier League as stars (not in big 7).

So to my mind you could develop as :

I. The financial fair play : a French ideology
a. Froggies are not great managers,
b. so they need to sell slaves every year or to cope with public funding for stadiums
II. To what extent is this sustainable in Europe
a. the end of debts if there is no balance and profit in long term, to be a rich owner is not enough
b. the necessity of an adequation between charges and turnover (salary cap)

sorry to sum up like this, but it's holiday time, and I can't stay with my computer in a sunny saturday afternoon.

#56 11-08-2011 14:39:30

Jon_LeGossip
Membre

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your help in giving me advice, opinions and bits of information to use in my piece on French football finances. The article was published today on In Bed With Maradona's website. You can find it here:  http://t.co/heF8Aub

I would love to know what you all think of it and thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated! A great start to the season for Rennes but as a PSG fan I cannot wish you too much good luck for this weekend. May the best team win!

Looking forward to posting on here again.

Cheers,

Jonathan

#57 11-08-2011 14:59:55

Hermine Rouge et Noire
Chasseur de Canaris
Inscrit(e): 02-06-2011

Good job, I've just red it. Just one question : when you talk about salary cap which could be a solution, why don't you mentionned our club, Rennes, that practices it for a few years now ?

#58 11-08-2011 19:42:13

Jon_LeGossip
Membre

That is a good observation. Thank you. I should have done but when I was cutting it out it didn't occurr to me to put it in. It would have made the argument stronger so my apologies for that.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read it though! It is really appreciated and I am glad it made sense for the most part.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Utilisateurs enregistrés en ligne dans ce sujet: 0, Invité(s): 1
[Bot] claudebot

Pied de page

[ Généré en 0.036 secondes, 7 requêtes exécutées - Utilisation de la mémoire: 662.61 KiO (Pic : 671.51 KiO) ]